Sunday 16 December 2012

Some Of My Favourite Blogs...

December is 'rewind' month. A time when amidst all the partying, you look back at the year gone by. You relive the moments when things went your way and you ponder at those times when you can't fathom how you lost your way.

As I look back on 2012, this blog has been the surprising, exciting highlight of my year! It will have to be another post where I explain how what started out as a tentative experiment turned out be a definitive outlet to expressing myself.
 
But today, I am going to introduce you to some of my favourite blogs that I have discovered over the past year. Needless to say that each of these blogs has beautiful recipes and captivating photographs. But, they also had 'something else', something that got me hooked onto the blog and I now, look forward to each new post of theirs. In some cases, I got to know the individual behind them and in some, I remain a distant admirer.
 
So, in no particular order, these are some of my favourite blogs...
  • Chef In Disguise : I discovered this beautiful blog from the Middle East within a few weeks of debuting my blog. I was 'googling' the name of my blog (Don't judge me.. we have all done it some time!!) and instead of 'Baker-in-Disguise', 'Chef-in-Disguise' popped up. Written by Sawsan, who hails from Jordan, this is a blog packed with all sorts of recipes. But what I most adore about this blog is how Sawsan introduces us to life and the cuisine of the Middle East (I have my eye on her Kibbeh, Barazek and Mamoul). She makes you want to try each of her recipes, the easy ones as well as the more complex ones. And be ready to be impressed, she's an orthodontist, home-maker, wife, mother and one of the most active bloggers I know!!
  •  
  • Baker Street : Simply put, this blog is my 'Baking Wikipedia'!! Written by Anuradha, a Television executive from Mumbai, this blog has it all. If you are looking for some of the most gorgeous and eye-catching baking recipes on the Web, or if you want to know how to unmould a bundt cake from its tin, or if you want to know how various bloggers bake their bread or simply, want to know how to package cookies, this is the blog you go to. And if that's not enough, Anuradha has also initiated two unique baking groups - One, is 'Muffin Monday' and the other is 'Bundt-A-Month'. Drop by her blog and you'll understand what I am talking about.
  •  
  • The Patterned Plate: In her own words, Caroline, the lady behind this blog, is "Indian born, Abu Dhabi bred, married to 'The Scotsman' with two kids and is now based in Doha". Yes, her blog has a beautiful mix of recipes and eye-catching photographs but what attracts my attention with every post of hers is her evocative style of writing. She has a beautiful way with words, whether it is about reliving an old food memory or giving you a peek into her everyday life or sharing with you her travel memories, she holds your attention and invariably, will evoke a response. And lately, what's been catching my eye are her attempts at cake decoration. She has a beautiful, elegant and 'less-is-more' style that calls out to me. Why don't you go and see for yourself??!
  •  
  • Citrus And Candy : This one comes all way from 'Down Under'! Born to Chinese parents from Malaysia and now, based in Sydney, Karen has this fun, informal and sometimes, irreverent way of writing that makes you feel as if she is talking to you in person rather than through the written word. Her recipes are a mix of Malaysian, Aussie, Italian and English food. But above all, it is her style of photography that enthrals me each time. Her photos are a knockout each time.. they will have you staring at the screen for a long time!  Just go and see her latest post on a Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake!!
  •  
  • Passionate About Baking : I'll be surprised if you tell me that you haven't heard of Deeba Rajpal or this beautiful blog of hers. She is pretty much the Grand Diva of food bloggers, here in India. And yet what stands out most about her is her humility and generosity with which she shares her expertise. There is honesty when she talks about the odd baking mishap and how she salvages it and there is modesty amidst all the accolades that she receives and deserves. Hers is also one of the most beautifully photographed blogs. In fact, her blog was one of the few that not only got me thinking about writing a blog but also got me thinking about how one can get creative while photographing food. Yes, she's been an inspiration!!
  •  
  • Verses From My Kitchen : This is the only blog on this list that is written by a man. Based in Toronto, Michael combines his love for food and writing in this blog. And boy, does he do a fantastic job at it!! His photographs have a clean, simple and sharp style that is riveting. While his recipes are a diverse mix, what I enjoy are the introductory paragraphs to each post of his. Written with his restrained and clean style of writing, they are expressive, redolent, evocative and reminiscent. A must-read!!
 
This is by no means, a complete list. There are so many other blogs that I enjoy reading and I will share those with you in the days and months to come. The list is so long that this would turn out to be a never-ending post. So, for now, I will leave you with these delightful blogs that promise to beguile, charm and win you over!! 
     

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know.. and there are so many more to add to this list!!

      Delete
  2. Good Morning!
    Dec is certainly a month of looking back,'taking account' of what really happened the where did the year go by so fast :)
    Out of the blog's you have mentioned, I follow Deeba's blog (she is very inspiring), but the rest are new to me. You have given a nice intro to each one of them, I am now hopping over to all the other blog's and checking them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh then you must go and check out the other blogs .. you'll thank me!!! :))) And yes.. where the hell has 2012 gone???

      Delete
  3. Sarvani I am truly honored to be in your list. I still remember the first time you left a comment on my blog, the name really caught my attention and I immediately came here for a visit and I fell in love with your blog for so many reasons, I feel like I connect to the way you think,your outlook at life, books, recipes..
    You have a unique voice in your posts and blog, your sweet character shines through every post and I enjoy reading your posts word by word.
    Your photography is inspiring and I lost count of the times I lost my self in the story your pictures tell :)
    Wishing you a blessed and magical new year and thanks again for your warmth and kindness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sawsan.. thank YOU for the kindest words!!! You have no idea how much I love your blog.. and not only me.. but even my mom..its simply fabulous.. and of course the list of recipes that I have to make from your blog just keeps growing!! You do have a very beautiful blog!! I just have to make the kibbeh!!! :))

      One of the best parts of writing a blog has been the interactions.. and its been such a pleasure to getting to know you... You are right.. we do connect on a lot of levels..

      So.. here's wishing you and your family a very happy new year, filled with happiness, laughter, luck and good health. And more than anything,, here's to a stronger friendship between the two of us!!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...