Tuesday 21 February 2012

Chocolate Truffle Tarts : 'Baking with Julia'

When I look at all the posts I have done till now, I am kinda puzzled as to how I have not done a single post with chocolate despite being a self-proclaimed chocoholic!! So, it seemed a good time to let my first post with chocolate be these absolutely divine, delicious and decadent chocolate truffle tarts that I had to make for the 'TWD:Baking with Julia' group.

These tarts are a chocolate lover's dream come true. Imagine this if you can -- it is essentially a chocolate dough tart filled with a decadent, truffle-like chocolate filling that also has bits of milk chocolate, white chocolate and biscotti in it!!! Seriously.. imagine that!!!!


I made half the quantity for this recipe, aiming to make 3 out of the 6 tarts that the original recipe made. And then decided instead to make 2 tarts and 2 tartlets. Don't ask me why I did that.. I just did!! For the chocolate dough, I omitted the egg and instead replaced the egg with 2 tbsps of cold water and it did the trick, I think, without altering the texture of the tarts. The filling was pretty straight forward although I left out the biscotti as I did not have any but I did put in the white chocolate and milk chocolate bits. 


When I put these tarts in the oven, I had no idea what to expect on how the filling would transform itself. At first I thought it would have a custard like consistency and then wondered if it would maybe have a brownie-like texture!??!? Well.. the answer was soon before us...

First things first, when I pulled them out, they looked exactly how they looked in the photograph in the book, complete with the little bits of white chocolate poking out of the top. But, the best part came with the first bite. The filling gets transformed into  this dark, intense and divine truffle with the tiny specks of white chocolate providing not only texture but also a beautiful visual contrast in the sea of dark chocolate. Come to think of it, I should have taken photographs of the tarts half-eaten...


If you love chocolate, these tarts are just for you. With a scoop of vanilla ice-cream, they would make a lovely dessert. I had made these just in time for my evening cup of coffee, and something about the intense chocolaty flavor of these tarts combined with the bitterness of the coffee made it an unbeatable combination. That's when I missed all my closest girl friends because these truffle tarts would be the perfect accompaniment for our coffee and gossip sessions!!

Due to copyright considerations, only the person hosting the recipe for the group 'TWD:Baking with Julia' can post the recipe on their blog. These truffle tarts will be available on the blogs of Steph, Spike, Jaime and Jessica. Alternately, you can write to me at bakerindisguise@gmail.com and I will mail you the recipe.

28 comments:

  1. I was very excited to try these beauties out. weren't they a real treat !!!! Your tarts looks just divine... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Saira!! The end product was just so decadently delicious!!! Waiting for you to post!!!!

      Delete
  2. I had mine with coffee too. I can't imagine eating them without one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, ice cream is a great idea with these! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and the best part they were not too complicated to make as long as you follow the recipe !!

      Delete
  4. Your tarts are beautiful! And I'm so glad you liked them. Just out of curiosity, why did you leave out the eggs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I left out the egg only for the dough!! Honestly, it just felt a yolk too many (we were using quite a few yolks for the filling)..and the recipe i use for my short crust usually is without egg so thought it wouldnt make a difference here too!!!

      Delete
  5. Nice work! I totally loved this recipe as well and was delighted that it was not as difficult as I imagined!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle!! couldnt agree with you more..have filed it away for future use!!!

      Delete
  6. They look lovely, we loved these too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda!! i wish i could have added biscotti to mine too!!

      Delete
  7. Your tarts are beautiful! I've definitely got to try these with ice cream next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow...these look amazing! I want a piece right now please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your description of this tart. They look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you barbara!! They tasted pretty fab as well!!

      Delete
  10. Definitely ice cream & coffee material. I like the contrast of the two different size tarts. They look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cher!! Like you said ice-cream is almost mandatory with these!!

      Delete
  11. Chocolate makes things better... :)

    ~ Carmen
    http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. wht is the difference b/w tarts and tartlets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) first there's the difference between a pie and a tart.. a pie has a crust (bottom and top) with a filling and a tart just has a bottom crust and shallow sides (like what you see above).. and so a tartlet.. is a small tart!!! makes sense...??

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...